Woman with peanut allergy dies years after severe reaction at brother’s wedding

A student with a severe peanut allergy has tragically died four years after suffering anaphylactic shock before her brother's wedding.

An inquest revealed that Tania Kaur Khasriya suffered a hypoxic brain injury which left her unable to communicate.

The 24-year-old suffered anaphylactic shock after eating a dish which contained nuts at the Indian restaurant Mehfil in Southall, West London.

READ MORE: 'Fit' Brit doctor who died 10 days after AstraZeneca Covid jab killed by 'rare reaction'

The inquest held yesterday (Wednesday, April 26) heard that Ms Khasriya, from Ealing, has spent the last four years in a vegetative state being cared for at the Chalfont Lodge nursing centre in Buckinghamshire.

However, her palliative care was withdrawn with her family's consent, after doctors deemed she had no quality of life.

The devastated family claim they told the restaurant about her severe nut allergy, but the restaurant disputed their claims, showing they had no record of any allergies.

Senior Coroner Lydia Brown, recording a conclusion of accidental death, said the distressing sequence of events at her brother's wedding banquet led to her death.

She said: "Tania had a catastrophic collapse at the wedding banquet of her brother in July 2018.

"On the balance of probabilities, this was in fact an anaphylactic response to a dish with nuts.

  • Dead boy fell from plane and was hit by train – but his identity is still a mystery

"It had not been possible to establish exactly what she ate, but due to the severity of her response, this was indeed an anaphylactic response to her exposure.

"This was clearly an unwanted and unexpected outcome to what was meant to have been the most joyous of occasions. It is a terrible loss to her family."

The remote inquest at West London Coroner's Court heard Ms Khasriya was rushed to Ealing Hospital in West London after collapsing at the wedding banquet of her brother.

London Ambulance Service explained that emergency services had been called to the Mehfil restaurant o reports of an “unconscious 18-year-old” had gone into cardiac arrest.

  • Gran savaged to death by son's 'very powerful' dog found 'in pool of blood'

Statements from medical professionals caring for Ms Khasriya at Chalfont Lodge said she “couldn't physically or verbally communicate” any sense of “pain and distress” and it was “unclear” as to whether she could understand anything said to her.

Eventually, they reached the tragic conclusion that she had “no appreciable quality of life”.

Ms Khasriya's CANH care was discontinued with the consent of her family.

Coroner Ms Brown gave a medical cause of death as a “hypoxic brain injury due to anaphylaxis due to nut allergy”.

To get more stories from the Daily Star delivered straight to your inbox sign up to one of our free newsletters here.

  • Murderer who killed family at BBQ 'was mistreated in prison' before being found dead

She added: "The only reason Tania died was as a consequence of the events of July 2018.

"She required 24-hour care [after the incident] and never recovered from her brain injury.

"She died in April 2022, following the planned withdrawal of her feeding tubes.

"What the family have been through does not bear thinking. I pass you my most sincere condolences on your loss."


  • Brit banged up in hellhole cell after buying one drink in club on holiday
  • Drug gang kingpin busted over running secret lab and stashing chemicals at holiday park
  • Scandinavian chill to hit Britain with snow in sudden winter's revenge
  • UK 'gold rush' frenzy triggered by precious materials found buried under Britain
  • Brit dad hacked 700 webcams worldwide to secretly spy on women until FBI snared him

Source: Read Full Article