Harry and Meghan learned they werent invited to Kings reception in the press’

Even though Operation London Bridge was meticulously planned several years ago, there still seemed to be some teething problems as the new King prepares to take the throne.

An embarrassing mixup appears to have led to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle being invited to – then hastily uninvited from – a state reception hosted by the King and Queen Consort at Buckingham Palace this evening.

US president Joe Biden and French leader Emmanuel Macron are among hundreds of heads of state and other dignitaries meeting ahead of Queen Elizabeth II ’s historic state funeral. But the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will not be among them.

READ MORE: Prince Harry appears in military uniform alongside William at vigil for the Queen

Bungling palace officials reportedly sent the couple an invitation to the gala event earlier this week. But then they realised that the reception was only open to working members of the Royal Family, and so an embarrassing un-invitation had to be issued, reports the Telegraph.

The U-turn was so hurried and disorganised, according to Page Six, that the Duke and Duchess only found out about it when they read it online.

"Harry and Meghan actually got the invitation and no-one has actually told them they are uninvited," one royal source told the outlet.

Another palace insider added: "I’m told they only found out they were uninvited by reading press reports".

  • Harry and Meghan 'furious' at King's decision not to give Archie and Lilibet HRH titles

William and Kate, the Prince and Princess of Wales, are expected to be in attendance as well as Princess Anne, the Princess Royal and the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

They will be rubbing shoulders with royalty and political leaders from around the world.

But there will be no drinks and canapés for the Sussexes.

The awkward mixup follows a similar U-turn over whether combat veteran Harry would be permitted to wear his military uniform at last night’s vigil for the late Queen’s grandchildren, after he was obliged to wear morning suit for previous royal events.

After Harry and his wife Meghan Markle made the shock decision to stand down as senior members of the Royal Family in January 2020 the prince formally returned his royal patronages and honorary military appointments to the Queen.

But his British Army service was no honorary role, and it’s understood that Harry was very keen to wear his military uniform for last night’s ceremonial vigil.

  • King Charles' staff 'shaken and livid' as they're told of redundancies at palace

While a spokesman said he would “wear a morning suit throughout events honouring his grandmother”, adding that Harry’s status “was not determined by the uniform he wears”, Harry was then seen in his uniform at Westminster Hall last night.

However both he and his uncle Prince Andrew, who also surprised onlookers by wearing a military costume for Friday night’s vigil, are expected to revert to morning suits for tomorrow’s funeral, and any other events.

The Daily Star has reached out to both Buckingham Palace and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex for clarification on the situation regarding tonight’s event.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

READ NEXT:

  • Meghan 'snubbed' by royal fan in awkward moment at Windsor walkabout

  • Full route of Queen's Lying-in-State procession as fans face 30-hour wait to see coffin

  • Queen was 'absolutely on it' just two days before she died, Boris Johnson says

  • Queen's grief-stricken daughter Princess Anne follows her mum's coffin on final journey

  • Meghan was so ‘awkwardly nervous’ during walkabout she didn't know whether to wave

Source: Read Full Article