A family has been living with a mummified corpse for 18 months, refusing to accept their relative's death and even going as far as cleaning the body.
The man known as Vimlesh was taken to hospital in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh on April 19 last year, before passing away two days later due to a heart attack.
Yet despite being presented with a death certificate, his family did not accept that Vimlesh was dead, instead believing that he was in a coma, the Daily Mirror reports.
READ MORE: Second female jockey in 24 hours fighting for life in coma after horror fall during race
Officials from the department of health notified the police when they visited the man's home, only to find the extreme measures his family had gone to preserve the body.
This included using cleaning products on his skin – which appear to have stopped bacteria growing from the body and prevented the putrefaction process – as well as regular oil massages.
The air conditioning was on 24 hours a day, which helped masked the smell of decay, with neighbours unaware of what was going on.
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
Officials reported Vimlesh's skin had turned black from the unusual treatment – likening the process to that performed on Egyptian mummies.
Bloke in a coma for six months receives heartbreaking news after finally waking up
Survivors share horrifying stories about what it was like being in a coma
British boxing star and dad of two in coma after taking "very heavy punch" during fight
Source: Read Full Article