As the Taliban take control of Afghanistan, families of British soldiers who died, and ex-service personnel alike, have been left asking what their efforts were for.
Afghanistan is in the process of being taken by the Taliban, 20 years after the fundamentalist group were ousted from power by a US-led military coalition.
The coalition included the British Army and saw 457 British lives lost and £22billion spent.
Yesterday, the Taliban took control of the country's capital, Kabul, and it is now feared that the country will fall under strict Sharia Law, with the efforts of British soldiers in vain.
Jack Cummings, a veteran who lost both his legs in 2010 in Afghanistan, tweeted: "Was it worth it, probably not. Did I lose my legs for nothing, looks like it. Did my mates die in vain. Yep."
The families of British soldiers who died during the Afghan operation have also shared their fury and sadness at the fact that Afghanistan has been left to the Taliban, with no British or American troops offering assistance in the fight against the militant group.
Sarah Adams, whose son James Prosser died aged 21 when his armoured vehicle was blown up in 2009 said she was left 'asking what his sacrifice was for'.
"It's devastating to see what's being going on in Afghanistan over the past few days," said the 59-year-old, of Cwmbran, south Wales., to the Daily Mail.
"Everything he worked towards will soon be torn apart. It's heartbreaking to see what's happening, not just for the families who lost sons and husbands, but for those who served and still carry the physical and mental injuries. Now it feels as if none of it was worth it."
Wendy Rayner, who lost her husband Peter in 2010 aged just 34, said she was 'absolutely disgusted,' adding: "It just feels like a complete slap in the face after all the sacrifices people like my husband have made."
Sergeant Rayner, from 2nd Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment, was killed by an improvised explosive device in Helmand Province.
His widow has written to Boris Johnson demanding an inquiry.
The prime minister said there was 'no military solution' after an emergency Cobra meeting on Friday. He added that Britain can be 'extremely proud' of its role in Afghanistan.
But Major General Charlie Herbert, who lost many troops in the conflict, said the 'bravery and bloodshed' of servicemen and women had been 'turned to dust in just a few short days'.
He added: "How shameful. How unforgivable. I barely have the words to describe how enraged I am."
The Prime Minister insisted Britain could 'look back at 20 years of effort and achievement In Afghanistan', as he argued he wanted to 'make sure that we don't throw those gains away'.
But former defence secretary Lord Robertson, who was Nato secretary general during 9/11, said the prospect of Afghanistan being under Taliban control on the 20th anniversary of the disaster was a 'sickening' one.
Source: Read Full Article