An organised protest will see thousands descend on London on Remembrance Day in response to the Israel-Hamas conflict.
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has now condemed the planned march as “provocative and disrespectful”.
With November 11th dedicated to remember the nation’s war dead, many are concerned the protests will disrupt commemorations.
Mr Sunak said: “I have asked the Home Secretary to support the Met Police in doing everything necessary to protect the sanctity of Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday.”
With news the protest organisers are arranging buses to “make this the biggest march in history”, Tory MP Henry Smith told the Express the Metropolitan Police and Sadiq Khan must ask for military assistance.
Mr Smith added: “The fact that this even needs considering is a sad reflection on the ability so far to appropriately police what have been some appalling scenes.”
Dozens of meet-up spots have been shared on X (formally Twitter) including close to the Cenotaph where the Prime Minister and King are to lay memorial wreaths.
However, Ben Jamal, Director of the Palestine Solidarity Campaign has said the protest would not begin until a “significant time after the two minutes silence at 11am”.
Mr Jamal said: “The attempts to frame the planned national demonstration on Saturday, November 11, part of a cycle of weekly marches calling for a ceasefire, as disrespectful to Remembrance Day commemorations is at best misinformed and at worse an incitement to public disorder.”
What do you think, should the planned Remembrance Day march be banned? Vote in our poll and have your say in the comments.
If you can’t see the poll below, click here.
- Advert-free experience without interruptions.
- Rocket-fast speedy loading pages.
- Exclusive & Unlimited access to all our content.
Source: Read Full Article