Two new coronavirus cases and one death in London-Middlesex

Health officials in Ontario’s London and Middlesex region reported Saturday that two more people have tested positive for the novel coronavirus and one person has died, while health officials in Huron and Perth reported an active case tally of zero.

The death was a man in his 80s who is associated with a long-term care home.

The two new cases were all reported in London and involve staff of a long-term care home, health unit figures show. No further information has been released.

The update brings the total number of confirmed cases in the region to 467, of which 324 have now recovered — about 69.3 per cent — and 47 have died, with two deaths just this week.

London has seen at least 431 of the region’s cases. Nineteen cases have been confirmed in Strathroy-Caradoc, seven in Middlesex Centre, four each in North Middlesex and Thames Centre, and one each in Lucan Biddulph and Southwest Middlesex.

The health unit does not release the locations where recoveries and deaths have been reported.

More than a quarter of cases in London and Middlesex — 147, or 31 per cent — have been associated with long-term care and retirement homes, health unit figures show.

Ninety-one cases have been reported at long-term care homes, involving 55 residents and 36 staff, while 56 cases have been reported at retirement homes, including 39 residents and 17 staff.

Twenty-seven of the region’s 47 deaths — 57.4 per cent — have been in seniors facilities, including 20 at long-term care homes and seven at retirement homes.

The facilities have also been home to a majority of the outbreaks that have been declared since the pandemic began.

Outbreaks remain active at Kensington Village Long-Term Care, Kensington Village Retirement, Peoplecare Oak Crossing, Elmwood Place, Sisters of St. Joseph, Meadow Park Care Centre, Earls Court Village, Grand Wood Park and Henley Place.

The outbreaks at Grand Wood Park and Henley Place are the only ones dating from March that remain active.

The outbreak at Horizon Place, first declared on April 15 is now declared over.

The most recent outbreak to be declared was on May 3 at Peoplecare Oak Crossing, while the most recent resolved outbreak was on May 15 at Horizon Place.

As of Saturday, at least 39 staff members with London Health Sciences Centre (LSHC) had tested positive, a figure that has remained unchanged since May 2. It’s unclear how many cases remain active and where within the hospital system the staff members worked.

LHSC says University and Victoria hospitals were treating a total of 23 COVID-19 patients as of Saturday, including three in intensive care, one fewer than Thursday.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

No patients are listed as being treated in the Children’s Hospital, a decline of one from the day before.

Provincially, Ontario reported 391 new COVID-19 cases Saturday and 33 more deaths.

The new total of cases in the province is 22,313, including 1,858 deaths and over 17,000 cases that have been resolved.

Health Minister Christine Elliott says Ontario’s new daily cases are still on a downward trend.

The number of people in hospital with COVID-19 dropped from 986 to 975, and the number of people in intensive care is up by one to 180 and the number of people on ventilators stayed the same at 135.

There are now only four active cases in the region, according to the health unit. Two are located in Elgin, including one each in Malahide and St. Thomas, while two are in Oxford, both in Woodstock.

As of Saturday, 3,420 tests had been administered in Elgin and Oxford counties, an increase of 48 from Friday. Of those, 222 are awaiting results.

The region’s test per cent positivity sits at 1.8 per cent, according to SWPH, down from 2 per cent the day before. The figure has steadily declined as the health unit has conducted more tests, data shows.

Two outbreaks have been declared in the region, both of which are resolved.

Huron and Perth

There are currently no active confirmed COVID-19 cases in Huron and Perth counties after health officials there reported Friday that the two remaining active cases had both recovered.

No new cases have been reported by Huron Perth Public Health (HPPH) for the last 13 days, health unit figures show, keeping the total number at 49, of which 44 have now recovered and five have died.

One of the recovered cases was reported in Huron County, while the other was reported in Stratford, a city that has seen 25 cases confirmed, of which 21 recovered and four died.

The four deaths were linked to an outbreak at Greenwood Court, a long-term care facility. The outbreak was declared over on May 11, after six residents and 10 staff tested positive.

Three other outbreaks have also been declared over, but two are still listed as active despite there being no active cases in the region.

Two staff have tested positive at Braemar Retirement Centre in North Huron, while one staff member has tested positive at Exeter Villa in South Huron.

According to the health unit, staff members at seniors’ facilities may live in a different jurisdiction, and therefore wouldn’t be included in HPPH’s case tally.

A total of 12 cases have been reported in Huron County, while 10 have been reported in Perth County.

In St. Marys, one of the city’s two reported cases died while one recovered.

As of Friday, the health unit says 2,265 tests have been administered in Huron and Perth, 60 more than the day before. Of those, 110 were awaiting test results.

Sarnia and Lambton

Four people have tested positive and one person has died, health officials with Lambton Public Health (LPH) reported Saturday.

It brings the total number of cases in the region to 217, of which now 160 have recovered, or about 73 per cent of cases. The number of deaths is now at 18.

Health unit figures show that Friday’s new case involved a resident of Vision Nursing Home, a long-term care facility in Sarnia.

Thirteen residents have tested positive as a result of the outbreak, declared April 23. Three residents have since died, and five staff have also tested positive.

Seven of the eight cases reported by LPH on Thursday were linked to the facility, involving four residents and three staff.

It’s currently the only active outbreak in Lambton County. Three others have since been resolved.

Combined, the four outbreaks have resulted in 43 seniors home residents testing positive, of which nine have died, in addition to 17 staff infections.

Long-term care and retirement home residents now account for 20 per cent of the county’s cases, while health-care workers make up 15 per cent, according to health unit figures.

In addition to staff members at seniors facilities who have tested positive, 15 staff at Sarnia’s hospital have also contracted the virus over the course of the pandemic.

At least seven staff members at Bluewater Health have since recovered, a hospital spokesperson said Thursday. Bluewater Health was treating five COVID-19 patients on Thursday, in addition to nine patients who were suspected positive or who had tests pending.

As of late Thursday, 4,676 test results had been received by county health officials, an increase of 164 from the day before. It’s unclear how many tests are pending. The positive test rate remains at five per cent.

— With files from Global’s Gabby Rodrigues and The Canadian Press

Source: Read Full Article